Friday, April 15, 2011

lesley grainger : artists who blog


Today's artist is Lesley Grainger, who is originally from England where she studied art and illustration. She moved to California with her family in 1999. Her cheerful designs are inspired by her children, color and nature. Enjoy!

Lesley's website: www.lesleygrainger.com

Why did you decide to become an artist and could you imagine doing anything else? If so, what?
Since I was little I wanted to become an artist, more than anything. It's my purpose. I couldn't imagine doing anything else, unless I'm called to do something.


Do you still believe "do what you love and the money will come?"
Absolutely! I believe if you do what you are made to do everything else will follow. It's not always smooth sailing going thru some storms but there's always a rainbow.


How has the Internet influenced your work as an artist?
Blogging and the internet are an essential part of my business. Communication with clients is so easy with these tools. I have met so many amazing people thru my blog and I love it. Blogging is an artform, a tool I use to express my art.
Please name 3 of your favorite blogs and tell us why these blogs are special.
http://printpattern.blogspot.com Bowie posts such great work, she connects us to the design world.
Flora Bowley - http://florabowley.typepad.com has the most amazing organic paintings. I love the colors and the feel of her abstract paintings.
A great blog for learning about Art Licensing: http://artlicensingblog.com


What is your greatest fear and what do you do to overcome it?
My greatest fear is to fear. And the way I overcome it is prayer. Worry about nothing and pray about everything. I love this quote, "Worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."


Who would you like to trade places with for one day? Why?
I would like to trade places with Chagall and paint like him for one day.


What are your secrets for managing your time wisely?
I work from my home/studio so it's easy to get distracted, ARTIST ADD. I have to make lists, focus on what I need to get done and prioritize my work or I can easily waste my day.


If you could live anywhere in the world – all expenses paid – for one year, where would that be? 
Wow that's a great question. I think I would like to live in France. I traveled there for art college. It was amazing and inspiring! Being in France made me want to paint even more.

How do you maintain a healthy balance between your professional and private life?
This is sometimes difficult because I work from home and I have two children. I try to treat my work like a regular work day. Get the kids off to school. Make some tea and get to work on whatever projects I have going on. I have learned to stop when its time for family life and I try go to the gym regularly.


What are your top 5 goals that you’d like to accomplish within the next 5 years?
Online shop
More fabrics
Children's book published in April 2011
Going to Surtex in May 2011
More children's books

What is your advice for someone who would like to turn his or her creative dreams into reality?
Do what you love, be inspired with your dream and the reality will come.


Thank you Lesley! I appreciate your sharing your artwork and your thoughts with us today. I wish you lots of success at Surtex next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment