Thursday, August 4, 2011

Blending graphite sketches with a stump



This is one of the quick little videos I did for my Quick Sketching mini-classes--I haven't had time to do much in the way of new videos lately, so I decided to make this one public. (And oops, no idea how to make it fit the blog, sorry...)

This is a fun technique that David Rankin often demonstrates.  You can see lots more in his book, Fast Sketching Techniques, and if you're on Facebook, you can find him HERE.

Thank you, David, for letting us share your work!


I've used a similar technique for much more complex drawings like the one of my sweetie in Revolutionary War garb, above, and botanical artists have drawn with graphite dust for generations. Blending, softening, lifting and even adding value with a stump or tortillon makes for some wonderfully versatile effects.  Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment