Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Finding time...developing the journaling habit!


As we've mentioned here, one of the best ways to find time for journaling is simply to be prepared.  It's become a habit with me.  If I'm ready--even if it's just to do a simple pencil or ink sketch--it makes it EASY to journal, even in tiny bits of time.

Have your art supplies with you, even if that means a very small, simple set of paints and a waterbrush or two--and of course, your journal.

I've sketched this view more than once--I like it, tucked between the railroad tracks in the distance, our supermarket, and the biggest car dealer in town.  A little triangle of country in the midst of town!

I often opt to sketch while Joseph grocery shops...works best for both of us, since I tend to impulse buy and J. reads alllll the labels.  Sketching is GOOD!

This was the little set I was using, but since it's a year later it looks much more used than it does here!

This time he just had to get a few things, so I knew I didn't have long.  I laid in large areas of color to follow the shape of the hills and railroad right-of-way and then later, when I got home, got out my lovely little gold-nibbed dip pen.  It's tiny and fits in my travel kit easily.  (In order to use it comfortably, I stick that shortie handle in a section of cut-off drinking straw!)



Joseph found this one online and bought it for me, so I'll have a backup!

I reconstituted the colors that had dried in my palette, made them a bit more intense, and drew in the details--a suggestion of trees in the background, the mown grass, and a few weeds up close.  FUN.

Still later, I added a few notes that will bring this special day back to me.

I seldom do a whole page at once, but add a bit here and there as I have time or inspiration.  If I had to search for my materials or hoped to do a whole journal page at once, I'd never get as much done as I do!  Bite-size pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment