Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Versatile Gouache!


Roz, thanks for such a wonderful post on this medium...it is ideally suited to sketching on the spot and journal work!  Like watercolor, it's easy to clean and rewet.  It's long been a favorite in Europe, and thanks to artists like Roz and Cynthia Padilla, it's gaining in popularity.

The above is a quick plein air sketch in watercolor and gouache on white paper...


This one's gouache on green-toned paper--it was in my Sierra Club book.  I love the way you can "punch sky holes" in foliage to get that lacy look, without worrying about preserving your lights.



Of course it's wonderful on black paper, too...this was in my back yard on a wonderful warm sunny day when the strong light was hitting the geraniums. 

I like to bind my journals with mostly white but some black, tan, or blue gray paper...makes it fun to jump in there with gouache!

No comments:

Post a Comment