Friday, June 5, 2009

shelby healey : artists who blog



Shelby's blog: www.shelbyhealey.typepad.com
Shelby's website: www.shelbyhealey.com
Shelby's shop: www.shelbyhealey.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I started blogging about 18 months after opening my Etsy shop because I wanted to bring more traffic to my shop of course, but also because I was working on a few things and I wanted to catalogue my work as I produced it. In addition to this, I live on a small island which is beautiful and very inspirational but I do feel rather isolated at times. I saw starting a blog as a way to connect with like–minded people in the big wide world.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

It definately encourages me to get in the studio. If I haven’t posted new work in a week or so I feel really lame. Whether it’s sewing, sketching or making patterned paper for my collages I try to experiment every day.

What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

I have loads but here are just a few, Bliss for impeccable taste, dear ada for amazing art and wish jar for a stimulating read.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

I’m not the best person to give advice by any means but being a blog reader myself I go back to blogs that are regularly updated and have lots of eye candy!



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

Having people get in touch and tell you how much they appreciate your work is hugely inspiring. Often when I contact artists whose work I admire and would like to use in my blog we get chatting about our work and life and this is very heartening to me too.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

Making art is not my full–time occupation at the moment but I dream about the days I don’t get woken up by an alarm clock and can spend hours on end in my studio with my paints and sticky bits of paper.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

I have had a lot of private commissions and freelance work from people who found me through my (rather neglected) website and Etsy. Having your work in a front page treasury is always good for business as is being featured on great blogs.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

I try to keep my energy levels up in order to fit in all that I want to so I eat well and practise yoga. I generally spend a few mornings and most evenings in my studio and then enjoy what time I can with my family when we are all free. I love days out at the beach or walking in the hills. I spend as little time as possible at real ‛work’.



What are your main goals for 2009?

I have wanted to write and illustrate a childrens book for ages so I’m going to get round to that this year and I plan to go on holiday to some bustling, colourful city to inspire my creative juices.

Thanks Shelby and good luck with your children's book!

No comments:

Post a Comment