Friday, June 26, 2009

alicia bock : artists who blog



Alicia's website: www.aliciabock.com
Alicia's blog: www.bloom-grow-love.blogspot.com
Alicia's shop: www.aliciabock.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I've always kept a journal since I was very young. But, after I had kids and started my business I found it was hard for me to keep up with writing. Three years ago, I had just started reading a few blogs and thought it would be a good way for me record the daily events of balancing my family and business. I have a pretty awful memory. Blogging (even if it is just posting a few pictures), helps keep the good things fresh in my mind.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

Years ago I took three photographs that I titled, "Bloom", "Grow", and "Love". I always liked those photos, (they were my first Magnolias) and the words themselves. It just seemed like a good fit.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

I think it has definintely made me feel part of a larger community. Working alone, and having an online business can leave you feeling isolated. But, connecting with my readers, and visiting the blogs of my favorite artists makes me realize how common our experiences are, even if we work in different mediums.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

bliss- Mrs. French and I have a very similar taste in clothes and home decor. Her posts are like a giant daydream for me. I don't know how she does it, but she always finds the most beautiful things that I have never seen before.

sfgirlbybay- Victoria is wonderful at telling stories through her photographs. I am in love with her "Sunday in the City" series, and amazed by the color of her wonderful city.

Orangette- I want to live Molly's world just for a day. Her polaroids are so perfectly lit. And, her recipes are delicious.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Write about your passion... include lots of great photographs. I am of course a bit biased, but I think the photos are what make a good blog.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

I can't say enough good things about my readers, especially those who leave comments. It really means the world to me. I get great advice about music, food, traveling, and photography. Whenever I ask a question someone always comes through for me.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

Most rewarding: That I get to do what I love everyday.
Most difficult: Running all of it alone. I would love to someday have an assistant to help with shipping and paperwork, so I can spend more time taking photographs.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

I think selling in multiple venues is one of the best ways to get exposure. I see a lot of people just focusing their Etsy shops, but there are so many different options that can be explored.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

I am not very good at this. My mind is always working, composing photographs everywhere I go. I really could work 24 hours a day and still love what I do. The good thing is that I can do a lot of it with my family around me. I used to work very late into the night. But, have been turning the computer off more often when my kids go to bed, and working a little less on the weekends. I will probably always struggle with this.



What are your main goals for 2009?

1.More traveling... even if it is just within my own state.
2.Organizing my office.
3.Keeping up with scanning my polaroids.

Thanks Alicia!

No comments:

Post a Comment