Thursday, January 22, 2009

sandra juto : artists who blog

Sandra Juto is yet another artistic multi-talent out of Sweden. I am a big fan of Smosch which showcases her brilliant photography and provides previews of her illustrations and knitted works. I particularly enjoy taking walks around Gothenburg with Sandra - see this and this. Whenever I drop by, I feel as though I've had a little mini vacation to Sweden! You can find her illustration portfolio here, and visit her new shop to find several pairs of her very cool knitted "Wrist Worms" - just in time for fall weather.



from September 19th, 2008:

Why did you decide to start a blog?

Seeing so many beautiful and inspirational blogs for a pretty long time I decided I wanted to be a part of this fabulous community of creative people, it felt like I had found what I've always been looking for.



How did you come up with the name for your blog?

My friends and I have for a long time called sticky things like lip balm, pasta sauces etc 'smoschel'. I like the word better without the -el because I think the smosch letters look so good together and saying it it sounds a bit like German which is a language I have a passion for when it comes to its grammar and letter combinations. Smosch is nothing I call myself as a person though, I prefer Sandra :)



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

The immediate feedback is fantastic as well as the contact with other artists and designers, to share inspiration with them. Blogging drives me to work more from time to time, because otherwise I won't have anything to blog about. The last few years photography has become a big hobby for me so the blog is a perfect space to show my photos together with my work.



What are your favorite artist/design blogs? Why?

They are so many! Blogs I never miss a post of are the ones of my friends. I have a very long list of blogs on my link list which I use to visit. Wish I would have time to find new favourites as well :)



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists/designers?


The immediate feedback and the feeling of being a part of something really inspiring.




Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?


I think many others have said it and I say it too: Do it for yourself. Don't think thoughts like 'What should it look like?', instead think 'What do I want it to look like?'. Be true to yourself and to others and you will both give and get lots of inspiration.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

I have made new and wonderfully creative friends who are willing to share their influences. Some of them I've met in person and the rest of them I look forward to meet some day "irl".



Thanks Sandra for your participation. I look forward to more Gothenburg walks!

No comments:

Post a Comment