Thursday, January 22, 2009

heather smith jones : artists who blog

Heather is one of the most amazing and prolific artists I have "met" online. She continually creates beautiful, original artwork and is involved in several collaborative art and photography projects: for example, the Noticing Project, the Inspired Project, and echoes: a collaborative journal. Whenever I visit her blog and her website, there always seems to be something new going on. The photos of her studio and garden are warm and atmospheric, and she does a great job of getting one involved in the process behind her artwork. Heather is also such a kind and supportive contact - I can always count on her comments to brighten up my day. In Heather's Etsy shop, you will fall in love with her delicate, poetic originals. I'll stop gushing now and let you read her interview. Enjoy :)



from July 18th, 2008:

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I started my first blog around February of 07 to be a journal for myself. We had just gotten a new [to us] computer and I thought the format might encourage me to regularly take note of daily thoughts and studio work. In August 07 I began my current blog.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

Sharing my work online enables me to express my ideas about the work. I'm always honored that others take time to give feedback and share their thoughts and ideas. It is very helpful and encouraging. There are so many wonderfully creative people out there!



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

My favorite ones are the ones where I feel I'm in a conversation with the blogger, or I get a glimpse inside their thought processes. It is interesting to me to see the way artists arrange their spaces, what they eat, where they live, etc. I like to find things in common and then see ways in which everyone is unique.



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists and designers?

For me blogging is a platform for sharing. Other than part time teaching I am a solo artist working in the studio. Blogging is a way for me to be connected to other artists and non-artists alike.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Mmm, I feel like I'm figuring it out [or trying to] every day! However, I always like to include at least one photo and I keep my text somewhat brief, usually. But that's just me. And before I actually publish a post I'll read it over quickly and make sure it sounds like me, like my voice. I like for it to be honest.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

The community that I've found is by far the most rewarding part. Blogging makes my world feel bigger and smaller at the same time. I meet people all over the globe, get a glimpse into their lives, work, art, studios, and that makes them feel not so far away. There's so much to share. I like that. And you know, whenever there is one new comment, I get giddy and think, 'Wow, someone left a comment! Yay!' Other people in all their kindness certainly are inspiring!

Thanks Stephanie!



Thank you Heather for taking the time to share your thoughts and your lovely work!

No comments:

Post a Comment