Thursday, January 22, 2009

penelope dullaghan : artists who blog

Most of you are already familiar with Penelope Dullaghan's art and illustration I am sure. In putting together her interview today, I am again blown away by the clarity and beauty of her images. She has a delightful, wonderfully personal blog, and you can find her illustration and fine art porfolios as well as links to purchase Penelope's work in various shops on her website. Despite her extremely busy schedule, Penelope is always a friendly, upbeat communicator and I was lucky enough to convince her to participate in my interview series. Enjoy the interview and Happy Halloween!



from October 31st, 2008:

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I started a blog back when I first started thinking that I'd like to quit my job as an art director to become a full time freelance illustrator. I thought it would be a good way to track my creative growth and record the process of art and life.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?


I think blogging has pushed me to keep at it. Always creating and trying to make it better and better. I feel like if I've been quiet on my blog for some time then I need to do something creative to start talking again. So it's been a good driving force. My blog has also allowed me to meet some really wonderful artists and given me a community that I look forward to "chatting with" regularly.





What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?


My friend Christine over at maganda.org is a favorite because she's just so sweet and always up to something fun and creative. I often read through her archives when I need a quick pick-me-up. And my pal Jenny is a huge inspiration. I just love how she is immersed in her art and it spills over into everything she does. I'm also wooed by Mav at port2port press (love her simple visual aesthetic), Camilla Engman, and Katherine Dunn.



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists and designers?

I think it's a way to reach out and find that someone else out there is just as nerdy about things like colors and textures and paint blobs as you are. :)



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Do your own thing and don't copy anyone else. I think a lot of blogs these days seem to run hand in hand with each other... sometimes it's hard to tell them apart. But if you just stick to "you", it's bound to be unique and fresh.





What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

I think the most positive is just seeing how far I've come with my artwork. And reading back through my archives and being inspired by my own words. That's pretty unexpected, and you realize how cool this life is that you've created.



Thanks for taking the time to participate Penelope, and best of luck and loads of joy with the upcoming birth of your daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment