Thursday, March 12, 2009

sharon montrose : artists who blog



Sharon's website: www.sharonmontrose.com
Sharon's blog: www.sharonmontrose.blogspot.com
Sharon's shop: www.sharonmontrose.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I initially started the blog for my commercial work because my portfolio was growing bigger than my website could accommodate for and I needed a place for clients to go if they wanted to see more work - But since opening my Etsy shop, the blog has become a lot more than an expanded portfolio, and I’m really digging it.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

I know this may sound cliche, but it’s true - Blogging has introduced me to some pretty amazing people who generously share all kinds of great finds. The fact that I can get up everyday, sit in front of my computer and look at images of a Sunday in San Francisco, an artist’s newest creation, find out about a new product, get inspiration for decorating my house, a recommendation for a good book – The exposure to these things at my fingertips naturally inspires me and my work.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?


I could seriously make a list here that goes on for days, so I’ll just menion the top two blogs I look at even when I am too slammed to return a phone call or eat lunch:

1) A Cup of Jo. Because Joanna is kind and beautiful and you can feel it through her blog. Plus, she finds the BEST stuff.
2) Swiss Miss. Do I even have to explain why? Tina RULES.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Be yourself. Be real. Be humble.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

I just did a giveaway on my blog for a set of Geese Valentine’s Day cards . Because of my schedule, I can’t produce and sell all the products I dream up like note-cards, magnets, notepads, bookmarks, etc. So decided to do one giveaway a month. That way, I can make one-offs of all the things I want to produce with my animal series, but no time to put in the shop. It has really inspired me and I have all sorts of stuff planned for future giveaways.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

The most difficult: My work hours are 24/7.
The most rewarding: I can do my errands at noon on Wednesday.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

Promotion is always a tough topic. I find it extremely difficult to determine what works and what doesn’t. I say believe 100% in what you create and the pay off will come.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

I can answer that with a quote I heard once. It changed my whole outlook on life: „When you love what you do, you won’t work a day in your life“



What are your main goals for 2009?

I’m not really a goal oriented person. Probably because I change my mind every five minutes. If I can just keep doing what I’m doing and share it with the people I love, I’m good.

Thanks Sharon!

No comments:

Post a Comment