Sunday, March 22, 2009

sam hirst : artists who blog



Sam's website: www.inkloredesign.com
Sam's blog: www.inklore.blogspot.com
Sam's shops: www.inklore.etsy.com, www.inklore.bigcartel.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I had been reading a number of blogs for a couple of years. I stay home with my kids and it was one way to have outside contact with other adults. When my part-time job became even more part-time, I finally had the time to work on more creative pursuits, and I decided to start a blog to keep a record of the things I was working on, and so that could connect with other artists.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

The name of my blog is the same as the name of my company - Inklore.
Ink (because I always use a little ink in my projects) + Lore (because I use traditional techniques like block printing).



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

It definitely encourages me to keep creating new things. It’s really fun to have almost instant gratification after making something new; whether an item sells or not, I feel like it has at least been shared with some other people. It has also made me take more notice of the things that are inspiring me so that I can share those things with my readers.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

Jezze - She’s a fellow block print artist whose work I greatly admire.
Cicada Daydream - Her work is always stunning and her writing is very personable; always a delightful read
Bliss - Lovely photos and I love her I Love Mondays...she always finds things that I would otherwise miss
Heather Smith Jones - her blog is always soothing, like having a cup of tea with a friend



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Know what you want to say and say it often; I think it’s as simple as that.

What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

Because I am a self-taught artist, it always inspires me when a trained artist loves my work. It’s just a delight to have other people take time out of their day to see what I’m doing and to comment when they are inspired.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

The most difficult thing is that because I choose to homeschool my children, there are just never enough hours in the day to work on new designs. The most rewarding part is knowing that the things I make are being used and making people happy all over the world.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

I have been very fortunate to have been blogged by some bloggers with huge readerships and that has definitely been a big boost to my business. I’ve also been part of Poppytalk Handmade, which has given my work some great exposure.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

I’m not sure that I am entirely successful at maintaining a balance, but I’m trying. I’ve recently redesigned my blog and created a loose schedule for it which takes the pressure off of me having to come up with what to write about. I’ve also added some exercise back in to my schedule, and am fervent about saying no to having a busy life. I’ve kept all of my children’s activities to two days a week so that we can be home most of the time.



What are your main goals for 2009?

I have two goals this year. One is to put together a press kit so that I can begin to contact publications about my work. The other is to begin contacting boutiques about carrying my wholesale line. I’m also hoping to begin working on some art prints in the near future.

Thanks Sam !

No comments:

Post a Comment