Friday, November 13, 2009

lisa golightly : artists who blog



Lisa's blog: kikiandpolly.com/blog
Lisa's website: kikiandpolly.com
Lisa's shop: kikiandpolly.etsy.com



Why did you decide to start a blog?

Probably the same reason many people do. I had been reading blogs for years and started wanting to share some of my ideas and how I work. I think I had been writing posts in my head for quite a while before I actually took the plunge.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

It’s just my name and that of my website. And yes, that is my real name. The name Kiki and Polly was inspired by my daughter. Polly was her imaginary friend and Kiki was the name she gave a bird that came to our yard.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

Hmmm. I guess one of the greatest things for me is getting to hear feedback. Putting my work out there and hearing peoples thoughts on it has been really gratifying and inspirational.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

Too many to list here (I swear it grows daily!) But a few are:
design is mine
frolic
Camilla Engman
design milk
Art Addict
Antler



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

I try to balance what is inspiring me, my daily life and what I’m working on, mainly because those are the aspects I enjoy most in other people’s blogs. So to blog what it is that draws you to other blogs is a good place to start.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

Like I said, hearing from people who have found my work has been amazing. I am a pretty quiet person so having a blog helps me out of my shell!



What do you find the most difficult/most I part of having a creative profession?

I have kids, so balacing time and giving enough to each is the hardest. I heard an artist say once that his wife couldn’t be a true artist because she made the choice to be a mother and art requires too much of yourself to make that sacrifice. Well, I think that’s bull@#$%$, but that said, somedays it would be very helpful to have a few extra hours in the day.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

Participating in online art markets, maintaining an active etsy store, and introducing yourself to art/design blogs.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

That’s the big question, right? Some days I feel like I have acheived it, others I still struggle. Just recently I started back at my childhood love of horseback riding which has been huge for me. I think the biggest realization for me has been that I don’t neccesarily have balance on a daily basis, but if I step back and look at the overall picture it’s there.



What would you like to accomplish by the end of 2009?

I’d like to keep getting my work out there, keep pushing myself and making the most of some fun opportunites I have coming up.

Thank you Lisa for sharing your thoughts and your lovely artwork!



No comments:

Post a Comment