Wednesday, August 26, 2009

geninne : artists who blog



Geninne's blog: www.geninne.com
Geninne's shop: www.geninne.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

In 2005, I discovered Illustration Friday, a weekly creative outlet/participatory art exhibit for art illustrators and artist from all over the world. I decided to participate in the weekly art challenge and needed a blog to post my entries.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

In the beginning it was called Geninne's Illustration Blog because I was only using it to post my entries for Illustration Friday, but after a while I began expending my posts to include my adventures in crafting, sewing, etc...so I needed a new name and changed the illustration for art.

How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

The most important thing is that it has made me more prolific with my work and motivates me to continue creating.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

There are so many arts and craft blogs that I love. For my daily birdy fix I visit Diana Sudyka's blog thetinyaviary.blogspot.com. I'm a BIG fan of Laura Normandin's work and visit her blog wrenhandmade.typepad.com for inspiration. I also admire Camilla Engman's work and her adorable dog Morran's adventures at camillaengman.blogspot.com. There is so much talent out there!



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

“Just do it” If you want to get your work know I would advise you to participate in any of the many creative outlets available on the internet. Blog about what you love, don’t try too hard, just blog about what your passion is.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

The positive feedback I get from my readers is a daily source of encouragement.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

Seeing/reading how people enjoy my work and make it a part of their living environment puts a smile on my face.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

I posted a new illustration every week at Illustration Friday for two years and I think that really helped expose my work in the creative community.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

The balance comes naturally since I’m a bit of a hermit and love to stay home with Manolo and the kids. I home school them so I get stay in most of the time, which means I’m close to my desk and water colors for when inspiration strikes. Albert Einstein once said “The monotony and solitude of a quite life stimulates the creative mind” I strive to keep it simple everyday.



What are your main goals for 2009?

My future plans with Manolo are to open a little shop with his furniture designs, my art and handmade crafts. It has been a dream of ours since we got married. We don’t have any specific plans yet but we are giving it a lot of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment